1/9/07

Today's News That's Most Important To Me

Mattingly hosed again by baseball writers
I am forced to believe that roughly 91% baseball writers haved suffered a head trauma forcing them to forget all about the career of Don Mattingly.

Let's get one thing straight: I am not saying that Donnie Baseball is a first ballot Hall of Famer. In fact, I am not claiming that he should even be in the Hall at all. What I AM saying is that the amount of consideration that he recieved in today's released numbers is ponderous. There are so many arguments to be made here, but I will focus on two. (Please disregard the fact that if science would allow it, I would bear Don Mattingly's children, because I am being as objective as possible)

First off, www.Baseball-reference.com lists Mattingly as the most similar batter over a career to Kirby Puckett. Thats right, first ballot Hall of Famer and pride of the Twin Cities Kirby Puckett. I will not debate the World Series factor. Kirby's rings do set him apart from Donnie, but NOT by as wide of a margin as the ballot shows. When listed next to Puckett's, Don Mattingly's numbers, including number of seasons, are nearly identical to the chubby centerfielder. Maybe Don should have beat his wife (too soon?).

Second, something Puckett lacks (as well as many others in the Hall), is "the Man Factor". For a period of five to six years, Don Mattingly was "the Man". The "Hit Man" was arguably the best player in baseball for that stretch. Correct me if I am wrong, but should that not factor in when considering enshrinement into the Mecca of America's Pastime?

I know that Goose Gossage deserves to be a Hall of Famer, as should Jim Rice. However, I am TIRED of reading about it. I also refuse to spend any more time or internet space on Mark McGwire. It is legitimately disappointing to see the lack of support for Don Mattingly in the baseball world. This man is solely responsible for me being (or at least staying) a Yankee fan throughout my childhood. It was a time when the Yankees were awful. I mean AWFUL. Myself and others will wax poetic about how tough we had it as Yankee fans growing up, but I digress.

In closing, fowlballs.blogspot.com is launching the "MATTINGLY IN '08" campaign today. The goal is to more than triple Don's support in one year. 30% would be a serviceable stepping stone to enshrinement.

No comments: