6/6/08

The Next Derek Jeter (or Brien Taylor)

2008 Yankees 1st Round Draft Pick
Gerrit Cole



Unlike some other blogs, I will not claim to be more knowledgeable than I am about the prospects that the Yankees choose in the draft; I have never seen Cole pitch, aside from the video clips that anybody can stumble upon. What I will do, as a service to my loyal readers, is post some insight from experts in the field.

From Perfect Game:
Gerrit Cole is a 2008 RHP with a 6'3'', 190 lb. frame from Santa Ana, CA, who attends Orange Lutheran HS. Tall frame, present strength, projectable, long legs, easy arm, quick arm, balanced delivery, great arm side run FB, plus present velocity, CH has great tumble and sink, nasty, pumps zone with strikes, pitchability, has a purpose on the mound, one of the top pitchers in the nation.

Also, check out this link from Minor League Baseball - it includes a short video of Cole's delivery:
http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/events/draft_report/y2008/index.jsp?mc=cole
(Sorry for the cut/paste mess - I am having a problem with linking)

Jimmy's Take:
Pretty happy - he's projectable, raw, and a pain in the ass to sign. Sounds like the Yankees to me! At least he isn't waiting for TJ surgery.

No comments: