7/7/08

The Old Mail Sack

Oh my God, someone cares about our opinion. I took the time to answer a question from a loyal reader - one whom obviously does not understand the amateur nature of my analysis, but I decided to indulge them anyway...on with the show

Loyal Subject - What are your thoughts on our rotation going into the second half?
Rasner's pitching some innings and Ponson looks really good. You see
any significant promotions happening?


Jimmy Dugan - My feeling on the rotation is that right now is going to have to do. Rasner and Ponson are stop gaps. Ponson battles, but he just seems to bend too much. Against good teams, he has to reach a breaking point (like when the Rangers pummeled him). There is just something that I don't like about Ian Kennedy. I fear that he has Ed Whitson Syndrome, and the city is just too much for him. As much as I think he has superstar stuff when healthy, Hughes seems to be hurt constantly. If they can stay close (easier said than done), then Wang and a healthy Hughes could be a Sabathia-like swing in power.

Honestly, I think that extra arm in the bullpen could mean a lot more than a starter. I love the Brian Fuentes idea. Let him pitch the 8th, then some semblance of Hawkins, Farnsworthless (who actually looks really good right now), Edwar, and Veras can get the other 3-6 outs that are required to get to Mo.

I don't think that I would call any promotions 'significant' regarding the rotation with the possible exception of Alan Horne, who hasn't been able to stay healthy.

As for relievers, Mark Melancon is a guy whose stats I check every day. He was an elite closer in college, and hes a TJ recovery, with this being his first full year back. They are bringing him along slowly, but hes pitching lights out. His outings have been 2 and 3 innings with no consecutive days, but he has been dominant to the tune of a 0.77 WHIP in 36 innings. Peter Abraham told me that he should be the 8th inning guy, but they are still treating him with kid gloves.

Please feel free to send your questions to jimmyduggan.fowlballs@yahoo.com, and I will be glad to answer them in a timely fashion. That is all.

No comments: