8/28/09

A second chance

I am not going to list a myriad of stats here, but since Brett Gardner went down, Melky Cabrera has been fucking terrible. Granted the Yankees are rolling, and you don't want to screw too much with a good thing, but the fact is they have been doing so with Cabrera floating around the Mendoza line for over a month.
 
The reason I bring this up is Mike Cameron has cleared waivers (hat tip to MLBTR). I have been campaigning - read:begging - the team to make a move for Cameron since last year (see: here). Of course I ended up disappointed when the trade did not go through, but it has never made more sense than it does right now.
 
Let me recap in bullett form:
  • Mike Cameron offers an above average glove, and above average power 
  • Melky Cabrera is a below average baseball player
  • Cabrera's above average arm does not warrant a spot in the lineup
  • Cameron is a free agent after the season - if the Yankees pick up the tab, I don't see the trade being a back-breaker
  • Brett Gardner was never that good to begin with 
Make this deal, Cash.

No comments: