3/24/09

Nady to Start in Right Field?

According to Tyler Kepner of the New York Times, Joe Girardi took the air out of Nick Swisher. After speaking with his manager and learning that he would not be the team's starting right fielder, the usual energy of Swisher was noticably absent:




"I've been thinking all day about what I wanted to say," Swisher told us after the game, an 8-3 loss to the Phillies. "I'm the type of guy, I want to play every day, there's no doubt about that. I guess we're just going to see how it plays out.


"I love this team. I love the coaches, players, I love it all. I think it's a great spot. But that's the biggest thing: we're going to have to wait and see how it plays out."


It has been no secret that we here at The Fowl Balls have been pushing Swisher since he was acquired from the White Sox, and we disagree with this decision. Swisher is more versatile, more patient at the plate, and a better defender than Nady. I can not help but wonder if Swisher's versatility actually hurt him in the competition this spring. A switch hitter with the ability to play multiple positions is attractive coming off the bench, but not at the cost of running out your best lineup day in and day out.


The one thing that I am enjoying most about Swisher is his honesty. Though he was careful not to blast anyone, he did make his emotions evident. He is a passionate player, but not to the point of being subordinate. When asked how he took the news, he offered the following response:


"I don't know of anyone who would take that the right way, at first," Swisher said. "But I have all the faith in the world that this team is where I want to be. The front office has put together a great team and not only that, but just a great group of guys, and we all get along. So that's the thing: I'm not going to let any of this try to stir things up in any way, because that's just not our style."

Having dealt with players that are completely completely insane and ignorant to what their actions do to the clubhouse (see: Alex Rodriguez) and others that have been robotic in all statements since 1996 (see: Derek Jeter) over the last few years, Swisher looks to be a breath of fresh air. Now all Girardi has to do is find him 500 at bats.

No comments: